Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mr Pleaser, Smile For Me

Back to square one. Is this amusing to you? At my roots, I believe I’m really just your average girl next door. Strip me of my issues, and forget about my past; how about you be a darling and help me throw off that chip on my shoulders? Look past my immaculate dressing, and pacify my sarcasm. Tick all that off the list, and then go a few steps further to eliminate all the drama – there you have it: Su Ann, raw. Sometimes I wonder what happens when you concentrate too much on what other people think of you; do you eventually forget yourself?

In the morning, I put on someone else’s smile. I deliver all my lines, word by word perfection. I wear the right things, and I behave above and beyond what is expected of me. No wonder I’m numb. If you walk around with a mask painted on all the time … one day you’ll stop and realize that beneath it all, is emptiness.

Do I conform?

Do you?

I like to think that we are all equals.

But you know what?

We’re not.

And I truly believe there is more to life than this repetition. I truly believe that I deserve better. There’s got to be more in store. There has to be.

One day I’ll get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment